Saturday, September 25, 2010

Take Your Agent Up On The Offer For An Insurance Review

What exactly is an insurance review anyway? Sounds like a phony, nebulous excuse by my agent to hit me for more insurance, right? Well, an insurance review may involve an offer from your agent to purchase broader coverage or an additional policy, but more importantly, an insurance review will remind you of where you stand regarding your current coverage.  Plus, during an insurance review, you both might just discover an additional discount or two that you may now qualify for! Hey yeah, I'll take that discount!

As an agent, I can't begin to tell you how many times a client calls me after, for example, a heavy rain. It rained so hard that the client names his basement after a once popular movie: "A River Runs Through It". Then the question comes: "Insurance Man, do I have coverage for all this water in my basement?"
"Well, Mr.Client", I begin, "no you don't....you see when I called you two months ago to offer you an insurance review, you said 'I have all the insurance I need, and I'm just fine!', then you hung up. Now if you had just taken five minutes and allowed me to go though the original coverage you chose, we could have exposed this precarious possible danger you were risking by not carrying water back up coverage."

No sane human being likes buying more insurance coverage...but those same sane human beings love to discover that they have the proper coverage when something bad happens. So, the decision to purchase or not purchase an additional coverage, may just determine what side of the fence you end up on if something serious happens.

Insurance reviews are a good thing. If you have a good insurance agent, he or she will write or call at least once or twice a year and offer you one. When they do, take them up on the offer.